Winter is Coming
You read that right. Fall is tip toeing her way in as Summer is packing her bags and finding her way out. Apple orchards are prepping for their upcoming season and the crisp scent of burning leaves will soon be tickling our noses. What better time to prep your home for the upcoming bitter cold that will make her arrival in the not so distant future? Listed below are extremely helpful tools and practices to keep the warm in and the cold out. They may just help you save some valuable loot in your pocket as well.
- Simmer Down: Lower the temperature in your water heater. This one simple adjustment can save you upwards of 10% off of your water heating costs. Typically water heaters are set at a scalding 140 degrees, bringing it down to 120 degrees will save you bookoo $$$.
- Backdraft: Drafty windows and doors have the potential of wasting up to 30% of your energy use. They also can trick your thermostat into false readings. Fortunately, a simple solution such as a rolled towel at the base of the door (or create a draft snake, if you’re feeling crafty) will lock out that unwanted cold.
- Be Kind, Rewind: Turning the direction of your fan blades from counterclockwise to clockwise will actually create a warmer room. Hot air rises, the fan blades help force the warmth back into the lower part of your room.
- Out With The Old: Change your furnace filter! A commonly overlooked step in energy savings. Not only does a dirty filter restrict air flow, it also has the potential of harboring dangerous materials, such as mold, bacteria and pollen. It is best to change monthly during the winter months.
- Leaving The Abode: Lower the thermostat every time you leave your home. Each degree you lower your homes temperature can save you between 1% and 3% on your heating bill. Programmable thermostats are available that will keep on top of lowering and raising the temperature in sync with your schedule.
Being able to stay ahead of the impending cold will save you money and stress. Follow these simple steps and stay warm! As always, SERVPRO of Lake Geneva is here to help in any way we can!