Let's Talk about Water Damage
Picture this: You finish a successful day at your business, lock up your building and head home for the night. You come back the next morning, ready for the day only to discover that your building is flooded from a broken pipe. Your floor, walls and most of inventory inside are damaged. This is a nightmare scenario for a business owner. And unfortunately, it’s an all too common one.
According to industry estimates, more than 14,000 people in the U.S. experience a water damage emergency at home or at work each day. Many of these emergencies occur in a similar pattern to the scenario we described above: burst pipes, leaky toilets, and faulty water heaters.
Here are our top four tips for protecting your business from water damage.
- Monitor your appliances that use water. It’s not uncommon for modern offices to have kitchens with dishwashers or fridges with ice makers. Make sure that the hose connections to any water-using appliances you have installed at your business are secure. You’ll also want to make sure that you’re following the regular maintenance schedule for those appliances.
- Keep an eye on your pipes. Leaky pipes can be one the biggest sources of damage for a business. If you notice a leak, investigate it immediately before it becomes a larger problem with a much heftier price tag. Plumbing systems are also prone to stoppages and clogs, which can result in overflowing appliances, sinks, or toilets.
- Maintain your HVAC system. When the heat gets a little too much to take, we all turn to our air conditioning systems to keep our employees cool. Make sure you have a friendly relationship with your local HVAC contractor will help keep air conditioner drain lines clear of sediment that can clog the line.
- Keep the roof over your head. One of the biggest sources of water damage can come from a faulty roof. Missing, deteriorated, or damaged roofing materials can allow water to enter and damage ceilings or the interior of your business. If you notice a problem with the roof, address it immediately.
When you own your own business, you want to do everything in your power to protect it. If you’re concerned about guarding your business against water damage, contact your independent agent to review your business insurance policy to make sure that your property limits are adequate. Your agent can also help you determine whether or not flood insurance would be advisable for your location.
Is your business prepared?
Do you know all of the damagers that may come up when owning your own business? When you least expect it a property damage could happen in a multitude of ways. Being able to prevent damages from occurring is a way to control inclement situations from arising. Protect your business from thieves by providing good lighting to the surrounding area. Secure your windows and entryways with well fitted materials such as metal or solid core wood. Protect yourself against electrical surges with power surge technology, when direct lightning hits during a storm, storm cells can cause damages. Be sure to unplug any appliances if you feel there is a potential of one occurring. Water damage is another avenue that can cause thousands in repair. Consider installing a water detection system to alert you to early water intrusion. Be sure to avoid pipes freezing by keeping your thermostat set to a minimum of 64 degrees. Always be sure to purchase and maintain your insurance coverage. If damages occur from neglect, there is a very real chance you could be stuck with a hefty bill.
In the event of a loss if you need assistance please contact our office at 262-248-7588. Our staff is on call 24/7 365 days a year.
Kitchen Grease Fire
The kitchen is the heart of the home. It is a universal meeting point to converse while rummaging for a snack and is an essential part of any household. So it should be no wonder to know that nearly 41 percent of fires originate in the kitchen area. Multiple factors can play into the dangers of in home fires, many of which we overlook. We will be going through a list of steps to take when confronted with a grease fire and how to practice the proper techniques to either get the fire under control, or remove yourself from the home and to seek help.
Once a fire ignites:
- The most immediate approach you can take is to smother the flames with a cooking lid or cookie sheet. Leave on flame until it has been extinguished and the surface has cooled.
- Immediately turn off the heat source
- Baking Soda or Salt are the only two kitchen ingredients to be used when putting out a grease fire. Never use flour or any other substance to extinguish flames as they can make the fire worse.
- If all else has failed and the fire is still manageable, use a fire extinguisher to control situation.
NEVER USE WATER TO PUT OUT GREASE FIRE FLAMES. Do not attempt to move burning items outside.
If all else fails:
- If you cannot get the flames smothered it is imperative to immediately vacate the home and seek help. Kitchen fires can spread very quickly leaving you vulnerable and reduces your points of exit.
- Close all doors behind you as you leave as it can help contain the spread of the flames.
- Call 911 immediately from a safe distance.
- Never under any circumstances reenter your home while fire is in progress.
- Always have a current evacuation plan composed for your family to know which route is best to safely leave in the case of an emergency.
Home fire loss makes for a long process of recovery as well as the possibility of losing precious items that cannot be replaced. These simple steps and help you prevent disaster from striking and keep your family safe.
Fast Response to the Storm
Our highly trained crews are ready to respond 24/7 to storm or flood damage.
SERVPRO of Lake Geneva specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained to the standards of the IICRC and we use specialized equipment to dry out your property to its pre-storm condition.
Our crews are able to respond quickly since we are locally owned and operated. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Lake Geneva and Walworth County we are prepared to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of more than 1,700 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States. We are here to help you weather the storm.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today
Why to Call SERVPRO for a sewage loss
When your home has a sewage loss.
WHY YOU SHOULD LEAVE YOUR SEWAGE CLEANUP TO THE PROS
When there’s sewage water in your basement or bathroom, your first instinct might be to get a start on the issue as quickly as possible. After all, no one wants sewage in their home, and the harmful effects of backed-up sewage are extremely dangerous.
When you notice sewage flooding in your home, you should contact SERVPRO of Lake Geneva for immediate cleanup and removal. Taking on the removal process can be dangerous to your health, home, and money.
SERVPRO of Lake Geneva has professional staff to help with sewage cleanup services. We will also save your home from becoming severely damaged from the back-up. Your walls, furniture, and flooring are only a few components that may start deteriorating almost immediately during a flooding. In order to promptly and sufficiently remove the water and sewage from your home and prevent permanent damage, you’re going to need special tools and equipment.
SERVPRO of Lake Geneva has professional restoration experts that have access to the tools and equipment necessary for immediate water removal. By leaving the cleanup to the pros, you’ll be better able to save your home and furniture from severe damage. You’ll also save yourself from spending hundreds of dollars replacing lost furniture and replacing damaged materials.
CHOOSE PROFESSIONAL ASSISTANCE
If you’re in need of a restoration team you can count on SERVPRO of Lake Geneva for your sewage removal, contact SERVPRO today! We work quickly and efficiently so you can get your home back to a comfortable and safe condition. You can reach us by calling 262-248-7588
There When You Need Us
There When You Need Us
Having years of experience in restoration and rebuild, SERVPRO is placed amongst the most reliable and knowledgeable leaders in the industry. Having served in our community for over 30 years, we have had the opportunity to grow with our neighbors and provide the help they need when they need it. Disasters can occur at any time during any season. Having a well-stocked staff of highly trained professionals gives us the edge to arrive on the scene faster, and begin repairs more quickly. Having ownership of our emergency vehicles gives us the ability to arrive faster to any size disaster, saving you time and money. When choosing a restoration company to help you with your home or business repairs, it is important to feel like you are in good hands. Give us a call today with any questions you may have. We are always here to help!
SERVPRO of Lake Geneva
Securing for the Storm
Securing for the Storm
Storm weather can bring a wide variety of issues. From hail to ice damns, you must be prepared for whatever may occur. Your home or business can suffer major losses if not properly secured for an impending storm. Some damages can be completely avoidable if small simple steps are taken prior to the storm's arrival.
- Replace Missing or Damaged Shingles.
- Repair Loose Siding.
- Keep Your Gutters Clear.
- Keep Your Sump Pump in Working Order.
- Ensure Proper Sealing of Doors and Windows.
- Check for Loose Fence Posts.
- Trim Your Trees if time permits.
By doing these steps in preparation before a storm hits can save you time and repair costs. When damages does happen to occur, call SERVPRO at your soonest availability. The faster we can arrive on scene the more quickly we can get you and your property back on your feet.
SERVPRO of Lake Geneva
What Can Cause a Water Damage
What can Cause a Water Damage
SERVPRO of Lake Geneva understands the different causes & categories of water damage.
The poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner has a part that says “Water, water, everywhere, And all the boards did shrink; Water, water everywhere”. If you are at home or at your office, you know that does not sound good. The first thought that comes to your mind is where is it coming from, how do I shut this off;
Causes can include:
- Leaky dishwashers or washing machines
- Clogged pipes
- Leaking roofs
- Broken toilet pipes
- Heavy rain
- Snow or ice
SERVPRO of Lake Geneva knows it is imperative to start the cleanup process as soon as possible. The longer your home or business is waterlogged, the more damage you will see (and the more expensive it will be to repair after cleanup has been completed).
Categories of Water Damage in Devil’s Thumb:
- Clean water. It might come from an overflowing sink or a broken appliance. The water does not pose a threat to people. Keep in mind that any water will become contaminated after it stops flowing.
- Gray water. This water is contaminated from the get-go. It comes from broken toilets or sump pumps. It might not look dirty, or it might be brown.
- Black water. Like gray water, it might not look dirty. One major source of black water is broken sewage pipes. Another source is any water that has been standing still.
Are you Prepared for the Storm?
If a community is not prepared for a severe storm, the results can be devastating. SERVPRO® of Lake Geneva wants to share some of the following tips to keep in mind while putting together an emergency kit in the event of a severe storm approaching. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has stated emergency kits should include some of the following:
- First aid kit
- Any medicine currently being taken
- Extra change of clothes and shoes
- Pet supplies if you are taking care of an animal
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Emergency food and water
Do you have items on your list that we have not listed? You can always add whatever else you may need. There should be an emergency kit in every residential building as well as all commercial buildings if possible. Aside from having an emergency kit ready, a plan should also be in place. If there is a designated storm area inside the office, occupants should head there with the emergency kits. Severe storms cannot be avoided, but with the right tools and resources they can be easier to deal with. SERVPRO of Lake Geneva wants to make sure you are prepared!
Commercial Emergency Ready Profile
Commercial loss can go from a small problem to a large scale problem very quickly. Something as simple as a leaky roof or a drippy pipe can cause thousands of dollars between the mitigation and the reconstruction. As some disasters are natural there is little that can be done to prevent injury to your building or to have an exact plan in place for preventative measures. On the other hand, there are many steps that can be implemented ahead of time that can greatly reduce the amount of time needed to recover.
- You can contact you’re your marketing representative to put together an Emergency Ready Plan. This plan is offered free of charge to our customers.
- The ERP will help you with knowing where all vital power sources and water sources are located in your facility. This includes your main water shut off valve and circuit breakers as cutting these off can be major contributors to salvaging your property.
- The ERP also can provide you with vital insurance and business information for easy and swift access to prevent the delay of repairs and to expedite the time it takes to start the repairs.
These are just a few steps that can be taken to lessen the difficulties you may experience after Commercial building loss. SERVPRO of Lake Geneva is just a call away 262-248-7588 we are a phone call away 24/7 and 365 days a year.